Time travel is a tricky thing, this is why River Song keeps a diary – to keep everything in order. Because I’m a fan of actually remembering my trips, I keep travel journal! Sorry The Silence, won’t work this time. I’ve created journals for certain trips, other journals for that years travels in general.
This is a great way to jot down those special details that you can share with family, looking at you Dr. Jones Sr. Also a great way to display all those little papers that end up in a shoe box or junk drawer. However , I must warn you not to place a fragment of your soul in them to create a horcrux, because you know, bad things.
First thing you need is something to write in. You can easily pick up a journal at a store like Target or Michaels, some specifically made for travel or you can make one yourself. Because I collect so much on my trips, I will get a 3 inch binder and cut down paper to size.
I don’t take a huge binder with me on my trip, so I collect items that are accessible to me and add them in later!
-Things to add to a journal-
- Checklists: stuff to pack, places to see etc.
- A map of the locations you’re visiting. You can even mark your travel journey
- Sketch or draw things you see, doors are really an easy thing to draw quickly
- Collect stamps or mail yourself postcards from that location. I love doing this and writing my days adventure on the postcard. It may take longer to get to me depending on where it’s sent but it’s a nice surprise in the mail
- Receipts and tickets
- Local stickers or small embellishment like pressed pennies
- Things that create pockets like coffee collars, envelopes you find in hotels stationary kits
- Speaking of, I like to use the hotel stationary to recap the day and them tape or glue it into my journal later
- or simply just words
Get creative! You can add anything you want, these are your memories. Share how you keep all your travel memories in the comments below.